The benefits of being a Coach Core apprentice
A Coach Core apprenticeship is different from any other – we run a unique model that provides an unrivalled level of success.
A Coach Core apprenticeship is a life-changing experience designed to set you up for a life in sport but also to give you the skills to take your career in any direction you like.
The apprenticeship ‘earn while you learn’ model means you will be getting paid from day 1, working alongside experienced members of staff to gain the skills you need for that job and the wider industry. Because the experience is being led by your employer you know that these are “real world” skills you are learning, in addition to the industry standard qualification you will get at the end.
Like any other employee you will earn a wage, get employee benefits and a holiday allowance. You will also be paid for the time needed to study each week.
My apprenticeship with Coach Core gave me hope. I realised no matter where you are from, there is always an opportunity... Now I’ve found my comfort zone and have an excellent opportunity to tackle some of the barriers that myself, and many others before me, have faced in sport.
What makes a Coach Core apprenticeship so special?
- Coach Core helps fund employers to take on apprentices others might overlook. Coach Core exists to ensure young people who might otherwise get left behind are given the chance at employment and education. The employers we work with are selected with this in mind.
- We pull together a network of local employers and national partners to provide you with additional opportunities. This might mean that whilst you work at Employer 1, you can help on a big event at Employer 2. Or it might mean you get access to events and training provided by our national partners, such as NBA UK. In the past, due to our network, Coach Core apprentices have had the chance to work at the Cricket World Cup, the National Junior Indoor Rowing Championships and the FA Trophy.
- The qualification you gain at the end of the apprenticeship is the Level 2 Community Activator Coach. This has been specifically designed for organisations that coach sport or lead physical activity sessions in the community and it means you will have a flexible set of skills that allow you to progress down many different career paths. You will gain experience working with a range of different communities and people and will be able to plan and deliver engaging sessions centred around the participants. In the long term it is expected that graduates will be able to move into leadership or management roles, leading teams of people; acting as a mentor for staff; or specialising with the delivery of sporting and physical activity programmes to certain populations or communities. You can read more about the Community Activator Coach standard.
- We also provide additional training, including bespoke Coach Core modules which teach a method of coaching designed to create a positive relationship with physical activity for life. In addition, you will get a Level 2 Certificate in Coaching Multi-Skills Development in Sport.
- Coach Core pride ourselves on our small group sizes and focus on quality over quantity. What this means is a high level of support for you, from employer, tutor, our team and our partners. We believe this pays off: over 90% of Coach Core apprentices complete the course (compared to a national apprenticeship average of just 60%) and 92% move into full-time employment or education after finishing.
If you have any questions for us, please feel free to get in touch using the form below: